Re: working toward the next release: freezing?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: working toward the next release: freezing?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:55:42 +0200

Hello,

> > from source (there could be virii in a configure script, ya know

you mean a real virus, which would infect the autoconf you build?
And thus newly generated configure would be identical to the one you
checked out?  That would be cool!

> > -AC_PROG_GREP
> > +AC_SUBST(GREP, grep)

Unfortunately the answer is that we don't support that kind of bootstrap.

When you get an ordinary *.tar.gz with ./configure included, do you try
to regenerate it, or do you trust the developers of that tarball?
What if their configure.in is not written entirely correctly and doesn't
work with current tools?

Perhaps it's similar here, you could trust our configure.  ;-)

But if you want to do the bootstrap yourself, it might be easier to use
add AC_PROG_GREP to aclocal.m4 for the bootstrap.

HTH,
        Stepan Kasal