2.59 and Explicit libc linking checks

From: Rivera, R
Subject: 2.59 and Explicit libc linking checks
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 14:38:34 -0500

Hi,

New to this list. It seems the logic behind determining whether or not libc
should be explicitly linked is backwards (in a generated configure script).
The grep command in...

(eval $archive_cmds 2\>\&1 \| grep \" -lc \" \>/dev/null 2\>\&1) 2>&5

... returns a value of 1 if the string is not found. Looking a few lines
down, you'll find...

(exit $ac_status);

... which fails the condition test and turns on explicit linking. As one
cannot assume grep has a -v option, I would think the
'archive_cmds_need_lc=no' and 'archive_cmds_need_lc=yes' statements are
backwards.

Does that make sense? Is this a problem with my logic or autoconf's logic?

Thanks in advance,
Rafael Rivera Jr.