Re: "Universal Binaries"

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: "Universal Binaries"
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:10:18 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, David Fang wrote:
        For discussion reference, the recipe(s) for manually configuring a
universal binary can be found here:

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

        There you can see a few ways of achieving the same result.  To get
around the problem of autoconf tests being applicable to one CPU, one
might be better off doing two single-arch builds (VPATH), and merging the
results with lipo.
        I haven't tried this myself, but some others have reported
success.  I'm not sure why this 'defeats' autoconf.  It does introduce a

What I mean by 'defeats' autoconf is that the autoconf paradigm expects that the results of tests match what the final build will see. If both Intel and PPC code are compiled simultaneously based on the same configuration header, then there will be issues due to endianness and other aspects. It is possible to write software which is not subject to these issues, but it is by using preprocessor defines provided by the compiler/system and is not the autoconf way.

Merging two different builds would be fine though.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn