Re: Computed values in AC_INIT, AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR, AC_CONFIG_HEADERS, etc

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Computed values in AC_INIT, AC_CONFIG_SRCDIR, AC_CONFIG_HEADERS, etc.
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 09:09:29 +0100

* Harlan Stenn wrote on Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 11:37:04PM CET:
> > > I am always surprized, as well, to see so many warnings due to the
> > > latest libtool, still using obsolete macros !

libtool 2.0 will do away with most of these warnings.

> > I assume that you prefer that anyone using the latest libtool should
> > also be required to use the latest autoconf?
>
> What would be the problem with that?

Massive user resistance.  Which should honored within a stable branch.

> But I also think that the folks who release GNU tools should release new
> versions that simply upgrade the auto* versions used by those tools, at
> least for major revisions.
>
> If nothing else, the folks who have to install this software will
> benefit from better installation and packaging support (eg, DESTDIR).

Hey, I'm all for encouraging users to always use the latest versions.
The very best way to achieve that IMVHO is to keep improving the
software continuously, not by unnecessary force[1].

[1] Sure there are also _necessary_ version dependencies.  By far too
    many, unfortunately.