Re: Checking for GCC 4

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: Checking for GCC 4
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 07:33:23 +0100

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 06:07 +0000, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> Ralf,
>
> How about something that would use AC_RUN_IFELSE()?

We are talking about distinguishing different compiler
versions !!!!!!!!!

Why on earth would you want to run something conditionally, depending on
which compilers it had been compiled with?

> There's a reason it come with ACTION-IF-CROSS-COMPILING - it means one
> CANNOT feature test so one has to make the decision beforehand  and
> decide based on some other factors.

You are talking about a package using a toolchain to require _target_
run-time features. Right, these are occasionally required.

But we are talking about compiler/toolchain features. The cross
compilers/toolchains *never* retrieve anything from a target at
run-time.

If the toolchains require knowledge about a target's runtime feature,
the toolchains must know about it in advance, but the
application/package using the toolchain doesn't have to. It can
compile/link check the toolchain.