Re: Adding an option to configure?

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: Adding an option to configure?
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 13:22:20 +0000

Stepan Kasal wrote, quoting me:
>> On Wednesday 28 December 2005 12:28 am, Chris Telting wrote:
>>> I am trying to add an option that would instruct it not to build
gcclib.

>>> something like: configure --nogcclib
>>
>> AC_ARG_ENABLE([gcclib],...  or  AC_ARG_WITH([gcclib],...  depending on
>> your taste; [...]
>
> not only taste matters here: "enable" is meant for features of the
package,
> while "with" is meant for cooperation with external packages,
> eg. --without-x.

Well, since the behaviour of the two is fundamentally identical, the
distinction is somewhat subjective, and therefore, IMHO, something of a
matter for personal taste, (in which section of `configure --help' output
would you like the option description to appear), but ...

> IMHO, AC_ARG_ENABLE([gcclib],... would be more appropriate.

given the documented guidelines, I would tend to agree that AC_ARG_ENABLE
is probably the more appropriate, in this case;  however, the OP may think
that `--without-gcclib' makes better semantic sense than `--enable-gcclib'
for his particular implementation.

Regards,
Keith.