Re: Autoconf and CVS

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: Autoconf and CVS
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 09:24:12 +0100

Hello Daniel,

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 09:40:52AM +0200, Daniel Pekelharing wrote:
> I am in the process of importing my project into CVS,
> but I am a little confused as to Autoconf, should I import all generated
> Makefile's, Makefile.in's, configure etc. ?
> I personally think I should leave them out of CVS, and just include
> configure.ac and Makefile.am's.

If you plan to support many users from various places, you'll have to
answer many questions since they may have other versions of the tools,
which may not be able to process your configure.ac and Makefile.am. If
you are going to use it in a small closed group where you have control
over the tool versions installed, this approach may work. OTOH,
committing a couple of files every now and then is not such a big
problem: you have to commit configure.ac and Makefile.am anyway, so the
updated files will be committed at the same time. I personally keep the
generated files in CVS, don't have any problems, and my users are happy
since they don't need to install autotools.

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.