Re: Autoconf and CVS

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: Autoconf and CVS
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 02:56:54 -0500

On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 09:40 +0200, Daniel Pekelharing wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am in the process of importing my project into CVS,
> but I am a little confused as to Autoconf, should I import all generated
> Makefile's, Makefile.in's, configure etc. ?
> I personally think I should leave them out of CVS, and just include
> configure.ac and Makefile.am's.

That seems to be what most people do. It's what I do.

It does mean that CVS users must have the autotools available on their
systems so that the generated files can be created. But maintaining
generated files in revision control can be rather annoying.

> Forgive a newbie question, how do I completely clean all generated
> files? - Apart from doing it manually? I tried "make distclean" but it's
> still leaving some auto generated stuff lying around.

I don't know the answer to that. Generally it's not something you *need*
to do; though I can see how it would be handy when you're first
importing your project into revision control. For that purpose I've just
manually removed the generated files.

> And one other, unrelated question: So I use automake, autoconf,
> autoheader and aclocal. What's the correct order to run them in?
> I've never quite figured it out.

Run autoreconf and let it figure it out. :-)

--
Braden McDaniel                           e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>                    Jabber: <address@hidden>