Re: FWD: make 3.81 beta3 configuration script error

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: FWD: make 3.81 beta3 configuration script error
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 00:27:50 -0800

"Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> writes:

>  if test "$PATH_SEPARATOR" = ';'; then
>    AC_DEFINE(HAVE_DOS_PATHS, 1,
>              [Define this if your system requires backslashes or drive
>              specs in pathnames.])
>  fi

This is confusing different issues, isn't it?  One issue is the
character that separates file names in a path; the other is whether
backslashes and/or drive specs are significant in file names.  (Note
that the GNU coding standards say that "path" is for lists of file
names, not for a single file name, so HAVE_DOS_PATHS is poorly-named.)

How about something like the following instead?

if test -d '.\.\.'; then
   AC_DEFINE([HAVE_DOS_FILE_NAME_SEPARATORS], 1,
             [Define this if your system uses backslashes to separate
              file name components.])
fi

Anyway, as far as the original bug report goes, I no longer have
access to Solaris 7 or 2.6 hosts, so I can't easily test any solution,
should one be proposed.