Re: CONFIG_SHELL and `./config.status --recheck'

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: CONFIG_SHELL and `./config.status --recheck'
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:11:26 -0800

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:

> One possibility would be to restart once with /bin/sh, or, if part of
> the environment, with CONFIG_SHELL, or, after parsing the command line,
> with CONFIG_SHELL, if that is given there.  All of this is very slow
> (read: dog-slow), and I'd really like to avoid another restart if at all
> possible.

I didn't quite follow all that, but don't you have to restart once
anyway, on Solaris, if the user just does ./configure?  Can't we
figure out before restarting the first time, what should be in
the environment for the second time?  Then we'd need only one restart.

I assume you're trying to avoid the need for _two_ restarts, which
is understandable.

> Another possibility would be to test for an external echo program first,

I'd rather not do that; it's pretty slow.