Re: Portable (as possible) sub-second timers

From: Howard Chu
Subject: Re: Portable (as possible) sub-second timers
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 19:05:53 -0800

Paul Smith wrote:
Hi all;

It doesn't seem that autoconf has any macros that provide for sub-second
timers.  Is there any agreed-upon standard for managing this?  Is
setitimer() the most portable option for sub-second timestamps?  Are
there known portability issues with it?

Should I check for usleep() if setitimer doesn't exist?  What about
nanosleep()?  I expect many systems would need to realtime library
(-lrt) linked to use nanosleep()?  Or not?

The tried-and-true method for the past 20-some years has been select() with no descriptor sets...

--
  -- Howard Chu