Re: AC_FOREACH public?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: AC_FOREACH public?
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:06:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:

"KM" == Keith MARSHALL <address@hidden> writes:

KM> When I write my configure.ac, aclocal.m4, or acinclude.m4, *every*
KM> macro I use is, from my perspective, an *autoconf* macro.  That some
KM> of these are called AC_*, AS_*, m4_*, or indeed anything else, is
KM> not important to me -- they are still *autoconf* macros.

But you are only using the top of the iceberg.  Other people
benefit from this clear layering.

indeed.  it's so clear that no one has to document it.
Just as well you're not sitting in a review meeting with me.

When another user use `autom4te --lang=M4sh' to generate shell
scripts that are not configure scripts, it matters that AS_* and
m4_* are not Autoconf macros, and that m4_forearch is available.

Likewise when you use `autom4te --lang=M4sugar' to process any
kind of input with M4+convenient macros like m4_foreach.

2.59, which is the most recent release version, does not document m4_foreach, and since it's not documented, there's no justification other than the developers' whim in using it in preference to any other proposed solution.

(2.59 is nearly two years old, and referring people to the cvs version would be an inadequate response - I recall seeing several postings pointing out that the cvs documentation is generally out of date as well).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net