Re: reasons for / against AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS ?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: reasons for / against AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS ?
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:03:02 +0200

Hello,

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 03:16:05PM -0400, tom fogal wrote:
> We have a growing selection of utilities of special purpose interest to

> everyone else making the decision of whether or not to bundle several
> packages together (probably via AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS, but not
> necessarily)?

IMHO, it's not worth it to use AC_CONFIG_SUBDIRS if you have control over
all the source trees.  Just use SUBDIRS = in the top-level Makefile.am.

Are the configure.ac's of the individual utilities huge?  Are they very
different?  I'd probably merge them to one top-level configure.ac.

You can use --enable options to control which utilities are built.

You will have "less autoconfigury" in the resulting super-package, so
your ancestors will be less scared.  Maybe.

If some of the utilities wants to use an information which was previously
used by another one, it is readily available, because they share the
same configure.

I hope you'll get more answers, so that you can get a more complete
picture from them.

Stepan Kasal