Re: Autoreconf problem.

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: Autoreconf problem.
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 07:03:53 -0700

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 10:20:02PM -0500, Brian Lloyd wrote:
> Previously, I used
> aclocal -I m4scripts
> autoheader
> autoconf
> automake -ac
>
> When I did this, the macros from m4scripts were properly expanded.
>
> I replaced this process with
> autoreconf -I m4scripts -i

`-I' options passed to autoreconf augment the autoconf/autoheader include path.
That is, `autoreconf -I m4scripts' roughly does this:

aclocal
autoheader -I m4scripts
autoconf -I m4scripts
automake

I had to read the source myself to discover this, so at least a documentation
patch is in order.  Thanks for this report.

Ralf gave you the solution: set ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.

> Now, it seems the include directory is ignored.  Am I doing something
> wrong?  I understand that the above item of calling aclocal directly is
> deprecated, but it seems to be the only way I can make things work.

There is nothing wrong with hand-rolled bootstrap scripts calling aclocal
directly.  Still, if autoreconf works for you, you may as well use it.