help with ac_arg_with if statement logic

From: Ayodele Onibokun \(Jimmy\)
Subject: help with ac_arg_with if statement logic
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 06:13:36 -0700 (PDT)

Hi --
      Yeah.... I mean the archive => transcripts. You asked me yesterday to do
the compilation with gfortran by hand and I did and it worked. The thing is I
know where the compiler is so before I do anything, I'll set the path as in set
path = (/usr/local/ap/gcc4/bin/gfortran). Thats where the compiler is at and I
also set the path to the lib as in set LD_LIBRARY_LIB /usr/local/ap/gcc4/lib so
it works. Now, in the acinclude.m4 file, I have gone there to set the lib as
well but I don't know if i'm doing it right but I just followed the way F77 was
done for Sun compiler. Now, when i do autoconf and automake, everything goes
well, now when I do ./configure --with-gfortran, I get errors on that line with
AC_ARG_WITH([gfortran], ..........). I know the problem is with the [ if else
condition], I looked up Bourne Shell yesterday and the format is
    if [ condition 1] then
           do action 1
    else
           do action 2
     fi

the thing that confuses me most is that it doesn't have a semicolon (;) at the
end of action 1 but since the AC_ARG_WITH macro handles this to the shell, I
don't know.  Here's it again:
AC_ARG_WITH([gfortran], AC_HELP_STRING([--with-gfortran], [use GNU gfortran]),
    if [$withval = yes]; then
          F77=gfortran
   else
         F77=$withval