Re: Startup problems

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Startup problems
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 21:59:41 +0200

Stepan answered the rest already..

* Daryl Lee wrote on Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 04:15:26PM CEST:
> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 01:28, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> > > When I run autoscan in the "foonly" project, freshly untarred, I get a
> > > warning: "missing AC_PREREQ wanted by: autoscan".
> >
> > Acknowledged.  What a useless warning message.
> > Took me a while to understand that it wants you to put
> >   AC_PREREQ(2.59)
> > into configure.ac.  Put it right after AC_INIT.

> I gather from yur suggestion above that the "missing" refers to "missing
> from your config.in file--add them", as opposed to "missing from my
> repository of macros."

Nope.  Missing from your configure.ac file.  It should look like this:
| AC_INIT([foobar], [0.1], address@hidden)
| AC_PREREQ([2.59])
| AC_OUTPUT

> The others reported as missing are
> AC_CHECK_DECLS,

I've never seen real-world use of AC_CHECK_DECLS.

> AC_CHECK_HEADERS,

Some headers are good to check.  But usually only if you know
- that they might not exist on some systems
- but the declarations will the be in another header on that system.

> AC_C_VOLATILE,
> AC_FUNC_FORK,

Use these if (and only if) your source is prepared to cope with the
failure condition.

> AC_FUNC_ERROR_AT_LINE,
> AC_FUNC_MALLOC,
> AC_FUNC_REALLOC,

Use these only after you've written the replacement functions
(I'd just get them from gnulib if you care).

> and AC_TYPE_SIGNAL.

Can't hurt.

For all of these, corresponding documentation is provided in the
Autoconf manual.  You should read about each one you use, so you
use them correctly.

> > > 3.  Is there a better startup guide than the referenced text?
> >
> > Above mentioned tutorial is good, although still in the works.
>
> I'll spend some time with it tonight.

Have fun!