Re: creating a distro

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: creating a distro
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 18:25:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Bob Rossi wrote:
I was wondering, in order to create a distro via 'make dist', you have
to run configure first. Does it matter what options you give to
configure? or will the distro come out the same either way?

The only standard option I can think of which may have an effect is --enable-maintainer-mode. If --enable-maintainer-mode is listed as an option, using it will ensure that the build environment is coherent.

It is much better to use 'make distcheck' rather than 'make dist'. If you can successfully complete 'make distcheck' then your package is reasonably sane, particularly if it includes a test suite.

Also, I have a small question, I have,
  EXTRA_DIST=config $(READLINE_DIR)
in one of my Makefile.am's. However, it is picking up the
$(READLINE_DIR) from my build directory. I want it to pick up the
READLINE_DIR from my source directory. Is there any way to do this?

Use $(srcdir) and $(top_srcdir) to reference the sources related to the current directory, or the top directory, respectively.

So you can use $(top_srcdir)/$(READLINE_DIR)

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn