Re: Python module macro check

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Python module macro check
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 11:31:01 +0200

Hi Dave,

* Dave Fancella wrote on Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:50:26AM CEST:

> Hmmm, it was my first ever m4 macro.  I'll be happy to fix it to be like
> that,
> I was trying to imitate other autoconf macros.  :)  I could use a pointer to
> some documentation on the subject, though.  I think I need to learn another
> macro language just to understand the m4 manual.  Or I need a nap, one of the
> two.

Hmm.  m4 macro writing is somewhat challenging at times.  I found some
of the discussions on this list very helpful, also some macros in either
the archives or the Autoconf distribution proper.  Both are to be taken
with a grain of salt, however: Former are only sometimes of good
quality, latter may use internal interfaces not to be used by the public.
I did, however, also find the documentation helpful (and long).

> On Monday 27 June 2005 02:09 am, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > I can't speak for the Autoconf developers, but you might just have more
> > chances of acceptance in the autoconf macro archives[1].  Speaking of,
> > there seems to be a macro with similar functionality already listed
> > there, which you may be able to make use of.
>
> Which one?  Turns out those links are purple in my browser, so I guess I
> visited there looking for python macros already.  :)  The only one I found,
> while very useful, only checks the python version.  There is one that ships
> with (I forget which) either autoconf or automake that sets a bunch of
> variables with things like Python's package directory and so forth.  What I
> didn't find was a macro to check for specific python modules installed and
> available for use by python programs.

Did you try
http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/Installed_Packages/ac_python_module.html
?