Re: please correct my ugly hack

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: please correct my ugly hack
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 09:04:17 +0200

Hello,

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 06:40:49PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > If I remove caching from AC_CHECK_PROG and AC_CHECK_TOOL, what
> > _incompatibility_ would it cause?
> > Would it break some documented behaviour?
> Yes, caching.

you are right, this is incompatibility.

But I don't think this would be breaking any documented behaviour,
as I cannot find any place which says that AC_CHECK_PROGS caches its
result.  In my quick search, I found only a note that "many checks"
cache their results.

> There exist packages which rely on sharing caches (some intentionally,
> some unintentionally), there exist packages which rely on preset
> caches,

If this is a real-life problem, that I really should add caching to
specific checks (AC_PROG_AWK and such).

If they rely on sharing ac_cv_prog_WEIRD, then I'd say they aren't
properly designed, and they will have to be fixed.

> and finally here is config.site (which I have never used, and
> don't actually know how it interacts with config.cache's)

I think that config site should use something like
: ${AWK=gawk}
and not mess with the ac_cv_prog_AWK.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan