Re: to conditionally test, or not to conditionally test?

From: Ralf Corsepius
Subject: Re: to conditionally test, or not to conditionally test?
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 08:17:58 +0200

On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 09:50 +0200, Stepan Kasal wrote:
> Hello Ed,
>
> > This code seems to work fine, but am I missing something?
>
> I guess that if you experience no problems, you can use the code.
>
> The advice ``perform all tests unconditionally'' is a workaround
> to fix current limitations of the implementation.
True, but the advice "perform all tests unconditionally" actually is too
strict.

It actually should be "perform all tests for compilers unconditionally",
i.e. try using AC_PROG_<language> unconditionally, because autoconf
can't handle "using AC_PROG_<language> conditionally".

AFAIS, this exactly is the case being used in this code snippet.