Re: AC_CHECK_SIZEOF for members

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: AC_CHECK_SIZEOF for members
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:53:02 -0400

> * Allan Clark <address@hidden> [2005-05-12 17:15:49 +0800]:
>
> Paul Eggert wrote:
>
>>Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:
>>[...]
>>
>>>the reason I want a CPP macro and not a run-time if is that the code
>>>will end up looking like this:
>>>
>>>  if (size_of(u.ut_tv.tv_sec) = 4)
>>>    a_function_expecting_32_bit_argument(u.ut_tv.tv_sec);
>>>  else
>>>    a_function_expecting_64_bit_argument(u.ut_tv.tv_sec);
>>>
>>>the result is that on _each_ platform there will be a compile-time
>>>warning about a wrong argument type.
>>>

>>My suggestion is to fix the compiler, or get a better compiler, or
>>ignore the warnings.  Your life is too short to waste it worrying
>>about incorrect compiler warnings.
>>

> Some of us actually check our compiler warnings, and are happy about
> warning-free code.

yes.  meaningless warnings hide and devalue the important ones.

so what I did was add casts to the
a_function_expecting_32_bit_argument() and
a_function_expecting_64_bit_argument()
(which are actually macros and not functions in some configurations).

<http://www.openvotingconsortium.org/> <http://www.dhimmi.com/>
<http://pmw.org.il/> <http://ffii.org/> <http://www.honestreporting.com>
Trespassers will be shot.  Survivors will be prosecuted.