Re: x86_64 and x86 userland

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: x86_64 and x86 userland
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 18:52:35 -0700

Harald Dunkel <address@hidden> writes:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

>> I have a question regarding systems with more than one ABI,
>> specifically x86_64.  If you consider for example the Debian
>> distribution which has a x86_64 kernel, but a completely x86 userland,
>> config.guess still gives you x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu as output.  (I
>> have been told this, but not tried it myself).

> What do you mean by "a completely x86 userland"?

> I am running Debian (amd64) on my PC at home. There are no 32bit
> applications on it. AFAIK this is different to some other major Distros
> claiming "amd64".

There are two ways of running Debian with amd64.  Your way is the full
separate architecture approach, which has (unofficial but pretty solid)
support for sarge.  The other way is to use the standard i386 architecture
but install an amd64 kernel and the amd64-libs package, which I think is
what Ralf is talking about.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>