Re: Cross-compiling with autoconf and a simulator

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling with autoconf and a simulator
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:32:45 +0200

Hi David,

* David Heine wrote on Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 01:59:28AM CEST:
> I've been frustrated by autoconf's inability to automatically identify
> configuration parameters when I'm cross-compiling, even though I have a
> simulator that can be used for this purpose.
*snip*
> However, I was unable to find any corresponding changes in  the latest
> CVS sources that would permit this.  I'd like to propose a simple patch
> that adds a new flag "--host-exec" and a modification to the
> _AC_RUN_ELSIF to add a hook that can solve the problem.  If this flag is
> not used, then configure's behavior should not change.

FWIW, I like the idea of doing this, esp. since I've been hitting
similar issues recently.   I am not an autoconf maintainer, but still
I guess it would be nice if this patch was accompanied by a
documentation update, and maybe one or several examples how to use it,
and how to quote names with special characters (spaces) so they don't
end up as options.  Not sure if `configure --help' should also show it.

Disclaimer: I have not tried your patch.

Regards,