Re: Autotest: loops of tests

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Autotest: loops of tests
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:05:04 +0100

Hi Noah,

* Noah Misch wrote on Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 10:29:32PM CET:
> On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 09:03:52AM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > for flag in -foo -bar
> > do
> >   AT_SETUP(test with flag $flag.)
> >
> >   AT_DATA(file.cc, ...)
> >   AT_CHECK($compile $flag ..)
> >   AT_CLEANUP
> > done
> >
> > except that AT_SETUP does not to work inside a shell compound command.
> >
> > Alternatively, I would be happy as well with any other means which
> > achieves almost the same effect.  Like:
>
> I suggest using an m4sugar looping construct or writing a macro to abstract
> the
> common bits.  AT_CHECK_AT_TITLE_CHAR and its underlying stack in autotest.at
> demonstrate the latter approach.  Does one of those techniques meet your
> needs?

I think they would work, and for small data sets, they are fine.
I'm not too happy with the replication they cause in `testsuite' -- one
of my ideas was to test on the order of 2^8 link flag combinations
eventually, and I would like to keep the blow-up as small as possible.
I understand that having both m4 constructs and shell loops work
together is quite difficult.

Thanks for your suggestions, though.

Regards,