General automake/autoconf questions

From: Frederico Faria
Subject: General automake/autoconf questions
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:23:47 -0300 (ART)

Hi,

  I am novice for gnu automake/autoconf tools then I
have had some general questions about the subject;
Mainly I could like to know a bit more
about best practices.

  1-)  Which are the  advantages to use a
"configure.in" for each subdirectory ? Today I am
using only one configure.in in the root directory.

  2-) At Makefile.am file  I use some macros defined
at configure.in file using the AC_SUBST.
      Of course, I could define these macros at
Makefile.am. Which is the better design ?

  3-) Could I turn off the use of COPYING, NEWS and
other required automake files ?

  4-) How could I get a more clean output when I run
the make command. Because It appears references for
PACKAGE, .deps, and others.  is It possible hide or
disable that information at command output ?

if c++ -DPACKAGE_NAME=\"main\"
-DPACKAGE_TARNAME=\"main\" -DPACKAGE_VERSION=\"1.0\"
-DPACKAGE_STRING=\"main\ 1.0\"
-DPACKAGE_BUGREPORT=\"\" -DPACKAGE=\"main\"
-DVERSION=\"1.0\" -I. -I. -I../inc  -I../idl
`test -f '../idl/Factory.cpp' || echo
'./'`../idl/Factory.cpp; \
then mv -deps/Factory.Tpo" ".deps/Factory.Po"; else rm
-f ".deps/Fact...

Thank you,

Frederico Faria

Yahoo! Mail - Com 250MB de espaço. Abra sua conta! http://mail.yahoo.com.br/