Re: RFE: configure -> dependency list on exit.

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: Re: RFE: configure -> dependency list on exit.
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 08:32:21 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 02:16:53PM -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Stepan Kasal <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > AC_MSG_NEED(PACKAGE, TEXT)
> > ------------------------------
> > Prints a message and saves it for later usage.
>
> My main comment is that the suggestion should be generalized.

Genearlly speaking, I proposed more specific macros to make them
look simpler to encouradge usage.  (Of course they can be
implemented over a more general layer.)

Your suggestion could also work, if properly explained in the
documentation.

> Users should be able to append arbitrary messages, not just
> suggestions for particular packages.

Sure, but the main point is to encouradge them to mention packages there.
They can abuse it to say AC_MSG_NEED(MTA, you need sendmail or postfix)
or we can add another macro for general messages.

> AC_MSG_NOTICE([Suggestion for foo: grab the latest foo from foo.org.], 1)
> AC_MSG_NOTICE(
>   [Suggestion for libxy --with graphs: get libxy from http://sf.net/xy.], 1)

You changed the formulation; it doesn't have the meaning I imagined.
I wanted to say:
"I suggest you to install package foo, which can be grabbed from foo.org,
in order to proceed with this build."
"I suggest you to install package libxy, available from http://sf.net/xy,
in order to proceed with this --with-graphs build.  Alternativelym you
can settle with --without-graphs."

> As a nicety, notices at the end could be sorted by numeric value of
> the priority number.

Please note that my proposal contained other niceties:

Suggestions:
  foo           grab the latest foo from foo.org
  bar           grab the latest bar from http://www.barbar.com
(for --with-graphs):
  libxy         use the latest xy library from http://www.xylib.net/

1) the text is printed twice, first as a NOTICE, and second at the end.
2) at the end there is only one header "Suggestions:", followed by the
list of packages.

But yes, this can be implemented on top of AC_MSG_NOTICE/2 or
AC_MSG_END.

Have a nice day,
        Stepan