Re: can I use dmesg to detect CPU type?

From: Dimitri Ognibene
Subject: Re: can I use dmesg to detect CPU type?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 17:32:11 +0100

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:35:23 +0100, Harald Dunkel <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden wrote:
> > Hi, i'm a newbie, and i need to have my library optimized for the cpu
> > installed
> > in the system of the user. Can I use dmesg messages to do it? there is a
> > better
> > way?
>
> AC_CANONICAL_TARGET?
I'd like to choose cpu specific CFLAGS, for Athlon,pentium 3,4,5,6,7...
and AC_CANONICAL_TARGET seems to return only canonical names like cpu and i'd l

I think, i'm still a newbye,  the right approach would be something like:
AC_CANONICAL_BUILD
AC_CANONICAL_HOST
AC_PROG_CC
#pseudo code, i haven't still wrote anything in M4
"if CC==gcc then
   if build_cpu == host_cpu then
    check -x /proc/cpuinfo
//mySmartParseFunction TODO :D :(
//this powerful function can choose best flags for pentium 1,2,3,4,
athlon and friends
    CFLAGS=mySmartParseFunction(/proc/cpuinfo)
"
ok it is very very bad code,
but my question is "idea is bad too?"
Thanks