Re: RFE: configure -> dependency list on exit.

From: Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng
Subject: Re: RFE: configure -> dependency list on exit.
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 00:49:07 +0000 (WET)

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:

configure script simply record that the function is not available and the app

record it to announce at the end and move on...

More often than not, if something important is missing, the configure script will continue to crater through its remaining tests. The remaining tests are then invalid. In this case, it is more useful for the configure script to issue an error message and quit.

With dependency infomartion the pointless tests can be pruned.
Clearly earlier results will be more reliable, and when a human has
to check the resulting message they can make a judgement about how
much to address at once.  If the information is truncated
prematurely they cannot.  People are familiar with consequential
errors from compilers.

That is still possible: I'm only trying to get existing known
dependecies expressed.  If compiler directives in the code like
#ifdef HAS_VNSPRINTF
#endif
can do useful work, by all means do that.  I'm saying that the
author is likely to know where to get vnsprintf, and if they do they
should say so.  The fallback case is things fail, like they would
now.

I agree that it would be useful if the configure script displayed a warning/error message which suggests that a particular package should be installed if it can be known that the missing functionalty comes from a particular package. Many configure scripts do this already. It may be that some additional autoconf smarts would help make this reporting more consistent.

Thank you. I'd be grateful for any improvements I can get.

Bob

        Hugh