running config.status in subdirs

From: wolfgang haefelinger
Subject: running config.status in subdirs
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:17:19 +0100

Greetings,

section 14. - recreating a configuration - of autoconf's
manual shows a rule on how to regenerate a Makefile, ie.

   Makefile: Makefile.in config.status
        ./config.status Makefile

That works fine. However, I have a couple of Makefiles
in subdirectories. So generalized rule is this:

   subdir=<..>

   Makefile : Makefile.in
        cd $(top_builddir) && ./config.status $(subdir)/Makefile

where  "subdir"  is the relative path name. For instance,
in "src/Makefile.in" subdir would be "src".

My "problem"  is that I have to set "subdir" manually for
each Makefile.in - but I would prefer that autoconf (resp.
config.status) computes the value for me.

I'm not sure whether autoconf can already do this - I do
not think so.

Is this somehow possible?

Thanks for some feedback,
Wolfi.