Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: AC_PROG_CC_C99
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 15:06:49 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Paul Eggert wrote:

That's why I'm glad to see this macro (and related changes) moving
ahead, so I can feel free to start using C99 features without worry
(other than users may be forced to upgrade their systems to support
C99 if they have old compilers, but at least they'll know at
configure time).

Personally I wouldn't take that step just yet.  I'd wait 10 years first.

Right. Since most of the desireable C99 features have been in C++ for a long time it seems easiest to simply compile using a C++ compiler (C++ as a better C). Of course this may rule out some people who don't have access to a free C++ compiler and can't afford the vendor's C++ compiler. There is also the problem that multiple C++ compilers which target the same platform may not interoperate.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden