using AC_CHECK_LIB across different libc versions

From: Rob Benton
Subject: using AC_CHECK_LIB across different libc versions
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:44:21 -0500

I could be trying this in the wrong way but the only way I've been able to get AC_CHECK_LIB to work is by using the symbol of a function from one of my libraries.
Also I set the AC_LANG to C++.  But across different machines with different
compilers and versions of C++ libraries the symbols are different. I've thought about just writing my simple 'nm | grep' test but I wanted to get some advice first.
Am I going about this in the wrong way?

Thanks,
Rob