Re: m4sugar.m4

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: Re: m4sugar.m4
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 15:51:57 +0100

Salut Akim!

Akim Demaille wrote:
>  > Would you mind if I ship an implementation of m4sugar.m4 with the
>  > next release of GNU m4, with an eye to replacing parts of it with
>  > C at some point?
>
> There are some issues in m4sugar that were waiting for a better C
> implementation.  In particular:
>
> - ERE instead of BRE

I'm still not sure how to do this in a backwards compatible way.
What about adding an optional 4th parameter for setting the regexp
syntax (that defaults to BRE if unset)?  Apps that need ERE can use:

    patsubst(foo, bar, baz, ERE)

> - text builtins should return their result *quoted*.

Agreed.  I'll make sure this goes in!

> However, a C implementation of m4sugar is not the best (=more urgent)
> service GNU M4 can give to M4sugar: call-stack introspection would be
> much better, and would considerably speed up Autoconf (I bet of 30%).
> Basically, everything related on m4_expansion_stack should be provided
> by m4 itself.

Okay, that sounds like a worthy goal.  I'll put it at the top of my
m4 TODO.

Cheers,
        Gary.
--