Re: finding datadir from executable

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: finding datadir from executable
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 19:20:02 +0100

Hi Andreas,

> Ralph Corderoy <address@hidden> writes:
> > Does argv[0] always contain a path on all Unixes?
>
> No.  It contains exactly the string passed in by execve, unmodified.
> It can be arbitrary.

I wasn't clear.  I realise it isn't always an absolute path, and is
normally whatever's passed to execve(2).  I was just trying to point out
that some old Unixes, Xenix? -- I can't remember, effectively strip any
path, absolute or relative, from execve's argument before it turns up in
argv[0], i.e. execve("./ls", ...) and execve("/bin/ls", ...) both
deliver an argv[0] of "ls".  Horrible, I know, but I remember getting
bit by it.

Cheers,

Ralph.