RE: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?

From: Daniel Reed
Subject: RE: autoconf in pure MSVC environment?
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:18:00 -0400 (EDT)

On 2004-09-07T14:15-0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
) I want to avoid assumptions about UNIX compilers, *.h files, and
) libraries.  That's the job.  I want Autoconf to identify what is or
) isn't available on the Windows system.  I don't want *any* Cygwin or
) Mingw installation polluting the system, as it's too easy to get
) confused about which compiler, *.h file, or library you need to use.
) The toolset to drive Autoconf should be as minimal as possible.

The default Cygwin install does not include a C compiler, or even GNU Make.

Your configure scripts will already require a C compiler that accepts
arguments like -I or -l to check for headers and libraries, so your primary
task is making your compiler of choice behave like a traditional C compiler.
After that, installing Cygwin will provide you with a suitable environment
for running your tests. If you are wrapping your native compiler already, it
will not use Cygwin's header files or libraries.

The autotools are meant to be used on UNIX-like environments, as is
mentioned on the web site and in the documentation. Please do not ask
autotools maintainers to support the way you want to perform your task;
instead support that method yourself, or use the method already supported by
the autotools.

If you have a specific problem getting this to work under Cygwin, please
bring it up on a Cygwin mailing list.

--
Daniel Reed <address@hidden>    http://people.redhat.com/djr/
http://naim.n.ml.org/