Standardized package file...

From: Rhone Leah
Subject: Standardized package file...
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 22:44:55 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Developers,
    Recently I have been spending alot of time looking
around at different package management methods, and I
have an idea about possible standardization. Im not
shure if this is even possible with autoconf, however
here goes. The initial configure script, if possible,
could create a "package" file that contains a list of
files that will be installed (And where they would be
installed to) should "make install" be used, a list of
files that would be modified (startup scripts ect.. I
dont know if autoconf allows for this or not) and a
list of libraries/programs that the package depends
upon. Such a file would then allow package managers
(after modification) to automaticly handle any
software built with autoconf. Honestly I do not know
if such a thing is feasible, or if in the end it would
truly seem useful but I would appreciate any feedback
you might have on this idea.

                  Thanks for your time,
                     Gabriel Patterson