GNU Autoconf test version 2.59b available

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: GNU Autoconf test version 2.59b available
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:23:42 -0700

GNU Autoconf test version 2.59b is now available.
This version is numbered 2.59b because I've heard of some "2.59a"
versions floating around the net, and I wanted to distinguish it.

This is an "early beta" release.  I expect it to have several
problems, particularly porting problems on hosts other than what I use
for day-to-day development (Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1).  It's not ready
for full scale use, but the intent is to generate the next Autoconf
release once the bugs are shaken out.

Please send bug reports to <address@hidden>.

Here's the URL:

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf/autoconf-2.59b.tar.gz

Here are MD5 and SHA1 checksums:

dc8612f3d044d2214998f310a0a80e02  autoconf-2.59b.tar.gz
5368846ce66407fe393432da906d1427eab47ddb  autoconf-2.59b.tar.gz

Here is a list of major changes since 2.59:

** AC_CHECK_ALIGNOF
  New macro that computes the default alignment of a type.

** AC_CHECK_TOOL, AC_PATH_TOOL, AC_CHECK_TOOLS
  When cross-compiling, these macros will give a warning if the tool
  is not prefixed.  In the future, unprefixed cross tools will not
  be detected; please consult the info documentation for information
  about the reason of this change.

** AC_CHECK_TARGET_TOOL, AC_PATH_TARGET_TOOL, AC_CHECK_TARGET_TOOLS
  New macros that detect programs whose name is prefixed with the
  target type, if the build type and target type are different.

** AC_REQUIRE_AUX_FILE
  New trace macro that declares expected auxiliary files.

** AC_PROG_GREP
  New macro that tests for a grep program that accepts as a long a line
  as possible.

** AC_PROG_EGREP, AC_PROG_FGREP
  These macros now require AC_PROG_GREP, and try EGREP="$GREP -E" and
  FGREP="$GREP -F" respectively if possible, or else run a path search for
  a program that accepts as long a line as possible.

** AC_PROG_SED
  New macro that tests for a sed program that truncates as few characters
  as possible.