Handling PACKAGE, PACKAGE_VERSION, etc. with multiple libraries

From: J.T. Conklin
Subject: Handling PACKAGE, PACKAGE_VERSION, etc. with multiple libraries
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:19:48 -0700

I am in the process of autoconfiscating TAO (The ACE ORB), an open
source CORBA implementation built atop the ACE C++ framework.

Both ACE and TAO create config.h files which are used in compiling the
respective libraries.  The config.h files are also installed and are
referenced by library headers, as the macros defined within are needed
in the implementation of inline functions, etc.

The ACE and TAO macros do not conflict, since they use ACE_ and TAO_
prefixes.  The system macros like SIZEOF_DOUBLE and HAVE_UNISTD_H do
not conflict, since they are defined with the same values.  But the
PACKAGE macros defined by autoconf (PACKAGE, PACKAGE_NAME, PACKAGE_-
VERSION, etc.) do.

Fortunately these macros aren't used by either ACE or TAO, so all
there is are annoying compiler warnings.  Is there any better way
to handle this so that the PACKAGE macros aren't defined in config.h?
I'm afraid this will only get worse as I go beyond ACE and TAO and
start autoconfiscating more of the related libraries.

      --jtc

--
J.T. Conklin