2.59 not going in to cross-compile mode

From: Harlan Stenn
Subject: 2.59 not going in to cross-compile mode
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 17:14:21 -0700

I am trying to build zlib on an "old" linux box, to be run on a "new" linux
box.

Therefore, I run:

 % configure --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu
 checking for a BSD-compatible install...
/auto/andatcd/coreutils/5.0/bin/install  -c
 checking for gawk... gawk
 checking how to suppress newlines using echo... option
 checking for i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc... i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc

which is wrong - in this case the build machine has a 2.2 glibc while the
host machine has a 2.3 glibc, so none of the "compile and run" tests will
work unless we are in cross-compile more.

Thoughts?