Re: /usr/local [was: CPPFLAGS prob]

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: /usr/local [was: CPPFLAGS prob]
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 21:18:58 -0700

Russell Shaw wrote:
Dan Kegel wrote:

Paul Jarc wrote:

Dan Kegel <address@hidden> wrote:

The right thing to do is use /opt/arm-linux/usr/lib/pkgconfig/audiofile.pc,
which will point to the right library.

Right.  So set PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/arm-linux/lib/pkgconfig.

I certainly agree that'd do it.  Not sure that Russell does yet, though.

That is what i currently do.

Well, I guess we were in violent agreement, then.

One caveat, though: the manpage says
       PKG_CONFIG_PATH
              A  colon-separated  (on  Windows,  semicolon-separated)  list of
              directories to search for .pc files.  The default directory will
              always be searched after searching the path; the default is lib-
              dir/pkgconfig where libdir is the libdir  where  pkg-config  was
              installed.
What happens if you don't have the library in question installed
in PKG_CONFIG_PATH?  pkg-config will silently search /usr/lib/pkgconfig,
and possibly grab the wrong version of the library.  If you're
unlucky, the library will link, but the resulting program won't run.
One more little reason, perhaps, to have a separate copy of pkg-config
per installed userland.

- Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com