depending projects

From: Nathaniel
Subject: depending projects
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:31:08 +0400 (MSD)

Hi autoconf folks,

I have a "politics" question about autoconf-managed projects.

Our team has developped a library (let's call it libN) and several
applications. Each application depends on this library libN.

The libN is being installed on very different architectures and needs sometimes
very sensitive tuning (i.e. lots of environment variables set and options
passed to 'configure' script, such as more libraries to link with etc). Most
often, the applications need the same options + the libN path. What we would
like to do is to keep the libN installation information somewhere and be able
to get it while an application is being 'configure'd. Thus, the user gets mad
only once, when installing libN, and then for the application he has only
"./configure; make; make install" to type in...

Is there a common way to do that? The easiest would to go and see config.log or
config.status, but they are not always kept after installation...

Thanks in advance,
            Nath.