Re: Checking alignment of data types

From: Remko Troncon
Subject: Re: Checking alignment of data types
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 20:25:28 +0100

> No.  It's not needed all that much, since you can find the alignment
> of a type in C.

Yes, but unfortunately i am working on a bytecode interpreter for and written
in another language. To find the right alignment for data on the heap, i would
need that information at configure time, and substitute it throughout the
source code (written in the other language).
I could write an autoconf test in C, but that unfortunately doesn't work when
cross compiling :-(

> like AC_CHECK_SIZEOF.  The only real advantage of this would be that
> you could use the alignments in #if expressions.

And in the case where you want to subtitute it in other files.

cheers,
Remko