Failing C Header Checks

From: Drummonds, Scott B
Subject: Failing C Header Checks
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:27:53 -0800

Hi, everyone,

I just upgraded to a brand new version of Autoconf (2.59) and
'configure' is now failing where it previously did not.  Specifically,
it is unable to verify the presence of any of the ANSI C header files.
'config.log' looks like this:

<quote>
configure:3395: checking for sys/stat.h
configure:3411: [compilation line, which I verified works] >&5
configure:3417: $? = 0
configure:3421: test -z
             || test ! -s conftest.err
configure:3424: $? = 0
configure:3427: test -s conftest.
configure:3430: $? = 1
</quote>

What I'm guessing here is that the statement in 'configure' at line 3427
is malformed: I think that the file that should be checked is
'conftest.o'.  In 'configure', this file is referred to as
'conftest.$ac_objext'.  So, if I'm right, that means that the variable
'ac_objext' isn't properly being set.  However, I can't imagine why.

Can anyone help me solve this problem?

Thanks,
Scott