Re: PACKAGE_NAME, PACKAGE_VERSION etc

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: PACKAGE_NAME, PACKAGE_VERSION etc
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:17:04 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> Balint Joo wrote:
> | Is there any way to stop autoconf messing with our config.h.in and config.h
> | in this way? There must be. Surely there are many people developing
> | multiple layers of libraries with autoconf.
>
> http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/autobook/autobook_96.html

This is some outdated book which is in need of an update. :-)

The easiest solution (for my library) was to create a second
configuration header file containing only what is needed to use the
library.  This is a tiny subset of the defines required to actually
build the library.  The second configuration header is manually
maintained.  The configuration headers may be configured like

  AC_CONFIG_HEADERS([build_config.h api_config.h])

so build_config.h.in is automatically maintained by autoheader, while
api_config.h.in is manually maintained by copying desired entries from
build_config.h.in.

Library users would include api_config.h, but the library
implementation includes build_config.h.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden