Re: configure.lineno?

From: Eric Sunshine
Subject: Re: configure.lineno?
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 07:36:24 -0500

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:27:17 +0100, Alexandre Duret-Lutz wrote:
> Eric> Nevertheless, DOS will silently truncate those to
> Eric> "config.sta" and "configur", both of which are still
> Eric> valid filenames.  However, the second period in
> Eric> "config.status.lineno" is simply incompatible with DOS
> Eric> naming convention which allows only a single period.
> Is this file created on 8+3 platforms?  For instance I believe
> DJGPP uses bash, which supports $LINENO.  I suspect there might
> be no issue.

I do not know specifically whether config.status.lineno is created on any
8.3 platforms.  I was just asking out of general curiosity since it struck me
as inconsistent that it unconditionally uses this non-8.3-conformant name
whereas the rest of Autoconf tries to cater to 8.3 platforms by providing
alternate mechanisms for dealing with those platforms (even if those
mechanisms are not used by default).  You are probably right about DJGPP
using Bash, so it may not be an issue in actual practice.  (Although this
does not mean that we shouldn't fix it.)

> Daniel> There is already some precedent for ignoring such
> Daniel> restrictions: Autoconf's autoheader will happily create
> Daniel> src/config.h.in given an AC_CONFIG_HEADER of
> Daniel> src/config.h and no explicit infile.
> We should just ensure that users _can_ write a package that
> build on such platform.  Using config.hin instead of config.h.in
> is documented, many people do it.

Exactly.  Even though Autoconf uses non-8.3 names by default, it still tries
to cater to 8.3 platforms by providing alternate mechanisms for dealing
those platforms; and these alternate mechanisms can be utilized/enabled as
needed.

-- ES