Re: Variable substitiution in help strings

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: Re: Variable substitiution in help strings
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:04:12 +0000

Rafael Laboissiere <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there a way to get shell variables substituted in help strings of
> AC_ARG_WITH?

No, because the help text is generated at autoconf-time (using m4
diversions).  Check where your help text ends up in the generated
configure, and you'll see why.

Regards,
Roger

[I did do exactly what you want when I was using autoconf 2.13, by
(ab)using m4 diversions myself, but this relied on the internals of
autoconf, which was not maintainable, so I stopped doing it...]

--
Roger Leigh