Re: What is going on with releases, mailing lists?

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 01:58:37 +0100

>>> "Paul" == Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

 Paul> Pavel Roskin <address@hidden> writes:
 >> I've seen an announcement in address@hidden that Automake
 >> 1.7.9 has been released with Autoconf 2.59....
 >> OK, I give up.  I used to be an active co-maintainer of Autoconf,
 >> and now I cannot get the latest public release!

 Paul> Clearly Autoconf 2.59 has not been released.  I don't know why 2.59
 Paul> was mentioned in the Automake 1.7.9 announcement, nor do I know why
 Paul> the Autoconf CVS ChangeLog says "Version 2.59".  However, since 2.59
 Paul> has not yet been released, I assume that possibly other fixes will be
 Paul> integrated before 2.59 comes sout.

Since the CVS is tagged, the ChangeLog and NEWS updated, and the
2.59 diff posted I think it's pretty clear that Akim intended to
release 2.59.  (I remember I urged him to, so we don't last with
incorrect abs_* value too long.)  Tagging the cvs only occurs at
the end of `make cvs-dist'.  It was so clear that I though it
had been announced, hence the mention in Automake's NEWS.

It's likely that Akim did all this in an hurry (the incorrect
date in NEWS tends to support that) and forgot to upload and
announce it.  Beside, lrde.epita.fr had some network problems
lately, so maybe he could simply not upload it.

I can see the GPG-signed tarballs of Autoconf 2.59 in Akim's
account.  But since Akim should be back tonight or tomorrow, I
guess it's better we wait for him.
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz