configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check

From: Bill Moseley
Subject: configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 09:23:08 -0800

I'm getting the "fails sanity check"  on my laptop running Debian Sid
after doing a dist-upgrade the other day.  I have these packages:

ii  autoconf        2.57-11         automatic configure script builder
ii  gcc             3.3.1-2         The GNU C compiler.

Here's the error:

$ ./configure >/dev/null
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details.

and config.log says:

configure:4895: /lib/cpp  conftest.cc
cpp: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1plus': No such file or directory
configure:4901: $? = 1

"cc1plus" is in the g++ package on Debain, which I do *not* have
installed.

Our project does not use C++.  Is that "sanity check" standard part of
every configure or am I somehow triggering that test in my
configure.in?

Here's my configure.in:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/swishe/swish-e/configure.in?rev=1.66

Thanks,