Re: replacing $<

From: Eric Siegerman
Subject: Re: replacing $<
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:15:30 -0400

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:42:06PM +0100, Richard Dawe wrote:
> The pattern rules (e.g.: "%.o: %.c") don't seem to be in the Single Unix
> Specification and therefore may not be very portable across Unices.

Dunno about the SUS, but they're certainly not portable.  AFAIK,
they're specific to GNU make.  (Which is to say, I know they were
invented in gmake; my only uncertainty is that a few other make
variants might have picked them up.)

--

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        address@hidden
|  |  /
When I came back around from the dark side, there in front of me would
be the landing area where the crew was, and the Earth, all in the view
of my window. I couldn't help but think that there in front of me was
all of humanity, except me.
        - Michael Collins, Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot