Re: Bugs encountered updating GCC

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Bugs encountered updating GCC
Date: 12 Sep 2003 13:43:19 -0700

Daniel Jacobowitz <address@hidden> writes:

> It happens that libiberty does
> not use -Werror, and is always configured first, so _that_ finds
> malloc.h.

Can you arrange for libiberty/configure to use -Werror, even if
libiberty doesn't use -Werror when compiling?  Technically that should
be fairly easy to do.

If that's not possible, then perhaps you can arrange for another
'configure' to be called first, even before libiberty, so that you can
test for some things using -Werror.  This 'configure' would set up
nothing, other than config.cache.

> > /* Do not include <memory.h> if compiling with GCC, even if 'configure'
> >    found it available with the native compiler.  GCC never needs
> >    <memory.h>, and since we use -Werror in bootstrap mode, including
> >    <memory.h> here might cause a compilation failure.  */
> > #ifdef __GNU_C__
> > # undef HAVE_MEMORY_H
> > #endif
>
> Unless there's a platform where malloc.h is in fact necessary.

I doubt that one exists, because of fixincludes etc.  It's quite
possible that I'm wrong, but if there is one then we can work around
its problems with further ifdefs (or better yet, by fixing
fixincludes).