Re: Locating a program in a portable way

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: Locating a program in a portable way
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 20:44:53 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003, Paul Eggert wrote:

> address@hidden writes:
>
> > So the current plan is to read $PATH, prepend (or append) our
> > $libexecdir to the path, and then walk the path looking for the program.
> >
> > The problem is how to do it in a portable way.
>
> Yes, it's a bit tricky, but gnulib's findprog module does that.

quoting:
{
#if defined _WIN32 || defined __WIN32__ || defined __EMX__ || defined
__DJGPP__
  /* Win32, OS/2, DOS */
  /* The searching rules with .COM, .EXE, .BAT, .CMD etc. suffixes are
     too complicated.  Leave it to the OS.  */
  return progname;
#else

either you're joking (with a poor sense of humor), or the usual
applies...

--
T.E.Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net